Friday 27 February 2015

MANAGING EXPECTATIONS: WHAT HON.DOE ADJAHO’S FAMOUS SPEECH DIDN’T CAPTURE



INTRO
Addressing the Parliamentary Press Corp on Wednesday 25th February 2015, the Speaker of the august Ghanaian Parliament ,Right Honorable Doe Adjaho, was  quoted as vehemently bemoaning the seemingly monetization of the Ghanaian Politics, a development  he deems  accounted  for the unfortunate decline in the quality of Parliamentarians and corruption. In what many pundits described as sheer candidness , one of the most experienced Parliamentarians did not mince words in expressing grave displeasure with the situation where parliamentarians were elected on the basis of how much they could pay to their constituents and not how effective they discharged their duties.

Undoubtedly, the continuous tracking and tracing of parliamentarians by their constituent for financial support is a disturbing development that is objectionable and inimical to efforts at deepening the country’s democracy. Indeed, there is absolutely no doubt that the practice affects productivity among members of Parliament.
It is instructive to note that the Speaker is not alone in his view. In fact, His Excellency the President; many other politicians and Social commentators have on many occasions shared similar sentiments on how the seemingly monetization of Ghanaian Politics was taking a toll on efforts at eradicating corruption and institutional inefficiencies.

Reading the news item and following the reactions that followed the story got me reminiscing about the sad tales many Parliamentarians shared after the 2012 elections.

Granting interviews to the media after the 2012 elections, many parliamentarians especially those who couldn’t retain their seats poured out their frustrations about the financial quagmire that they have been plunged into in view of the unbridled and insensitive demands that their constituents and other political apparatchiks had placed on them during the electioneering period.
MY OBSERVATION
While I fully agree in principle with the call for a paradigm shift in the way monetizing of politics, I am equally unable to sympathize with some of the politicians as their demands are most times self- inflicted and justifiable.
Ostensibly to win elections, most of these politicians keeping arousing and heightening the expectations of their constituents and voters. They leave no stone unturned by making untenable and unfeasible promises.

Monitoring events in the build up to year’s District Assembly elections, I have been bewailed at some of the promises that these aspirants keep making. For some, I am very clear in my mind that some of these promises by these candidates are either a manifestations of sheer ignorance or those that are blatantly informed by political expediency.

While leaving office after a strenuous day at work, I couldn’t but laugh myself to embarrassment, hearing a tape of one of the District Elections Aspirants. Not only was the unharmonious rhythm in which he chooses to package his message a source of fun, also the wanton disregard for the grammatical accuracy in his message is one that cannot be lost on any informed mind.

Let me attempt to transcribe his speech at this juncture. Perhaps, you may transfer your vote to his District and do him the honor.(Reader’s discretion)
’First of all my name is Ibrahim Issah Adaabor. And with my education, I start my school at Teacher Afranie Day Nelsil(Spelt as Pronounced) in this constituency  Adukrom. I also went to Adukrom Presby Primary.From P1 to P6(With physical emphasis).And I leave there to Universal Preparatory School  I continue my JSS there. Before then I transfer myself to KTI. That is Kumasi Technical Institute then I do all my course there.
And I want to stand like Assembly man. That’s why I come. So when am come power. In my country, I assure people that when am come power, Firstly is that toilet. Second one I will buy tables and Chairs for the community, if something of wedding or ceremony appear. They will come and take it and bring me back again. Third,I will make sure old man and woman you will go toilet for free.

THE SONG BEGINS
Okay I can sing my song. Now I want to sing. When I say everything say, it’s free.
Toliet for Oldman and Woman-Its free(supporters responds)
Canopy Chairs for Weddings- Its free(supporters responds)
Throwing b))la for  morning -Its free(supporters responds)
Barber for childrens-Its free(supporters responds)
As I allude to District level politics, I want to submit that DCEs are worst hit when the issue of monetization comes to the fore. Not only do their presence in local communities makes the practice easy and convenient for the ever  demanding party apparatchik and constituents, but also the  relatively paltry earnings makes it impossible for them to meet those expectations, a development that usually cause public disdain and disaffection towards them.

For those who cannot leave to see power slip their hand, they are compelled to indulge in unscrupulous financial activities in order to meet these demand. Some also fall on the paltry allocations, a situation that opens them up to the risk of financial malfeasance and misappropriation.
May be the speaker wanted to look at the action from the Perspective of how the development affected Parliament. Yes, I totally agree with him, critical as the institution of Parliament is to deepening the country’s democratic credentials. What I want to submit is that the Palm tree does not rattle without a cause. Paying attention to the consequence without the cause is flawed intellectually and practically.

As it currently stands it appears the public only stands accused in the whole issue of monetization of politics. There is no doubt that they are, as they are always at the requesting end. I do not intend to hold any brief for the public. Indeed, the public is also culpable.
What I wish to respectfully add to the Honorable Speaker’s lamentation is what in my estimation encourages the development.
To keep up with the tension that characterize our kind of politics, some political players recruit and surround themselves with all manner of characters. These people most of whom have questionable financial and moral records become the life blood of their campaigns, unleashing physical and verbal terror on opponents, on some occasions.

During the electioneering periods they devote all their time, strength and other resources at their disposal making sure that their candidate win.
While politician laments over the issue I want to ask these questions:

Is it for nothing that people leave their lucrative businesses to join mass protests? Is it for nothing that people put their lives and that of their families on the line for politics? Is it for nothing that people put their reputation on the line by strenuously defending the indefensible on political issues? Is it for nothing that people spend so much money serially and practically calling all radio morning shows on Programmes? Is it for nothing that these young people walk the nook and cranny of communities?
Is it for nothing that people endure beatings and invectives from political opponents and their members in some occasions? Is it for nothing that young men allow themselves to be recruited into tugs? Is for nothing that people openly and blatantly spew vitriol as the leadership of state institutions who are perceived to be for their opponents? Is it for nothing that people carry ballot boxes even at the risk of being lynched?

ü    In all the aforementioned can one say that these political patronage and risks are borne out of sheer altruism? I don’t believe that it these risks are taken for altruistic purposes.
ü      Are the aforementioned borne out of sheer patriotism? I don’t see that degree of patriotism, at least not from one that I can vouch for.
     
    It is done for the fun of it? I don’t believe. No rational person seeks fun in such an expensive manner.

I have not lived for long. Indeed, I have not been privy to the many roles and risk that people take for partisan purposes. But one thing I am fully convinced about is that none of these massive shows of fanaticism are informed by sheer patriotism, altruism or just the fun of it. I am indeed, certain that the undergirding principles is an inordinate personal interest which fuels expectations.

RECOMMENDATION
What I have not seen Politicians do well is to manage the expectations of their constituents. Rather than provide pragmatic solutions to problems, they master the act of heightening expectations with reckless and needless promises.
Arresting or effectively managing the needless and reckless tensions that characterize elections will be key if the menace of monetization in our politics is to be reduced. I am inclined to believe that some of these political apparatchiks manipulates the elections atmosphere at a fever-pitch tempo in order to assert their relevance.
But whatever be the case why should elections should not always send shivers down the spines of people. It should never be a justification for corruption and financial malfeasance. Indeed, it should not be the reasons why Children, the poor and other vulnerable entities in societies must bear the negative brunt.
To avert these dangers Politician and Key political players must find pragmatic ways of not only solving pressing social challenges but also managing the expectations that they heighten during politically charged electioneering periods.
If Politicians fails to avoid empty promises that result into unfeasible expectations then they should forget about remedying the paradigm of monetization of Politic in the country.
Samuel Osarfo Boateng.
233541842198.

No comments:

Post a Comment